Wednesday, April 13, 2011

What's in a name?

I am Mrs Doyle. For those of you who haven't had the pleasure of devouring an episode of the highly amusing show Father Ted this will likely mean very little. Furthermore,  those of you not brought up in my little part of England will not know the special significance of such a name. Allow me to rectify this now.

Father Ted is a hilarious show. If you haven't seen it you truly should. It blessed us with many interesting characters.... and even more enduring catchphrases. One such character is the parish housekeeper, Mrs. Doyle. Here is the gorgeous lady herself ..

I first realised that sharing a name with Craggy Island's most devoted advocate of tea was not going to go unnoticed when I changed my profile name on facebook. Amidst congratulatory posts and well wishes were requests for cups of tea galore. I laughed along, after all I had used the exact catchphrases myself for many years before being wed. Naturally the joke wore off quickly and painlessly- my friends had had their fun and all was well with the world. 
About 6  months later, during a trip to the homeland, I decided I should change the name on my personal accounts and what not. Off I went, marriage certificate in hand, to the bank. I gave my old details to the friendly banker who quickly located my account. 'and what is your new name?' she asked expectantly. 'Doyle' I replied. She started to type... then stopped.. her banker brain processing the information for a second or two before turning to me to confirm...'so Mrs. Doyle' . I nodded. 'You're Mrs.Doyle?' Slower more emphasized nodding in case she missed that last one due to my lightning speed, or was actually retarded.  Then she started to giggle... and then it came 'Will you be wanting a cup of tea then?' in full mock Irish tones. I smiled knowingly and of course thanked her and declined...but she wasn't finished with me yet. 'Gawan' she chortled....'Gawan gawan gawan gawan gawan gawan gawan gawan'...clearly she was a huge fan..'Gawan gawan gawan gawan gawan gawan gawan gawan' I wasn't sure she was planning to stop. I almost felt the need to run and get her a cup of tea to calm herself! Luckily she did stop, and my name was changed but it was clear, Mrs Doyle could one day become my nemesis.

Like I said Doyle also has special connotations in my home town. No doubt from some longstanding racism linked to migrant miners and the like, the name Doyle is synonymous with 'idiot'. To illustrate, someone who has said/ done something stupid or thoughtless can be called 'a doyle'...often with the inclusion of some expletives just to add colour of course. So therefore having the surname Doyle often bring with it some jibes and jokes. I have been brought up with them, they are seared into my perspective of the world. Now my first initial is 'A'... yup.. not only am I a 'doyle... I am 'A Doyle'. When I write my name now I find myself fighting the urge to make jokes in my head, at my own expense. I blame my northern British upbringing... no self assured American would allow such intra cranial mockery. 

All jokes aside though, I am A Doyle, my children are Doyles and I married a Doyle.... so naturally that only leaves one thing to say... 

Will you be wanting a cup of tea now?? ..... oh go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on, go on  

2 comments:

  1. H.A.D. is what I remember :P ... There are lots of nice phrases for this acronym - Humanitarian Aid Department; Has A Dream; Health And Development; Has A Dictionary; Home Affairs Department; Hazard Assessment Division; Helping All Daily ... I think you get the drift, not a lot of names mean this much =) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still sign official stuff HAD but most of my post comes for AD so I dont want to confuse the poor postie even more. Having a 'D' surname opens all sorts of possibilities for disorders! ha ha

    ReplyDelete